Need Assistance? Call Us On +1-289-8017117 or find us here:

Our Programs Temporary Foreign Worker Permit

Are you a foreign national? Want to work legally in Canada? The Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFW) is a Canadian immigration option that may allow you to work in a wide variety of high skilled and low skilled positions for a specified period.

To qualify for a work permit under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program:

Although most employers hiring foreign workers will require an LMIA, certain conditions where LMIA-exemptions exist may include:

Also, depending on your country of citizenship, you may need to obtain a Temporary Residence Visa (TRV)or an eTA. Typically, you must submit the temporary work permit application from a Canadian visa office abroad.

Does a temporary work permit entitle me to a permanent residency in Canada?

A temporary work permit (TWP) will not entitle you to permanent residency in Canada. Rather, a temporary work permit is for foreign workers who plan on working in Canada for a finite period of time, usually up to two years. When you enter Canada on a TWP, you must prove to the customs agent that you intend to return home once the permit expires. Unless granted an extension, as a foreign worker, you are expected to return to your home country upon the expiration of your temporary work permit.

Your work permit may be tied to a specific employer ("employer-specific" or “closed” work permit). This means you may work only for the employer specified on the work permit, and cannot change employers once in Canada unless applying for and receiving a new work permit prior to changing employers.

Many times, your Canadian work experience gained through the temporary work permit may allow you to extend the permit and also a possibility of entering the Express Entry pool to become a legal immigrant. However, this is not guaranteed.

Can my family join me in Canada?

Many times, a Canadian work permit holder’s family is allowed to come with them to Canada. Each family member must complete their own application form. If other family members seek to work in Canada, they too will need to obtain a Canadian work permit. This is typically an open work permit, allowing them to work for any employer and in any field of work.

In the event you would like to become a permanent resident in Canada once your temporary status expires, you may request to do so through other immigration programs such as the Canadian Experience Class or a Provincial Nomination Program.

Other programs:

Contact Us Interested in pursuing a new life in Canada?

Please complete our contact form to schedule a free phone consultation with a immigration experts to start your path to immigration.